Michelle Marinacci joined Gold, Khourey & Turak in 2018 bringing with her 20 years of litigation experience, including prosecuting and defending civil litigation cases and assisting in case decisions at the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.
At GKT, Michelle represents clients injured or killed due to medical malpractice or nursing home abuse. She also helps people treated unfairly by insurance companies, including litigating bad faith claims on behalf of individuals wrongfully denied insurance benefits.
Michelle began her legal career in 1997 at a defense litigation firm in Charleston, West Virginia where she defended claims against national insurance companies, businesses, manufacturers, health care providers, pharmaceutical companies and governmental entities. In 2005, Michelle took a position with the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals and served as Chief of Staff to Justice Brent D. Benjamin. She provided recommendations regarding the analysis of cases before the West Virginia Supreme Court. Michelle also assisted Justice Benjamin in drafting opinions released by the Court. In 2009, Michelle returned to Wheeling, her hometown, and actively litigated on behalf of individuals and businesses against major insurers, national corporations, and other wrongdoers.
Michelle’s vast experience in both plaintiff and defense litigation provides her with a unique perspective in serving her clients. She understands how defendants and insurance companies view cases, and knows what it takes to win your claim. Michelle has the ability to quickly frame issues and identify strengths and weaknesses, allowing her to formulate strategies to resolve her clients’ cases quickly, efficiently, and beneficially.
Michelle grew up in the Ohio Valley and resides in Wheeling. She is on the Planning Committee of the annual Our Lady of Lebanon Lebanese Festival/Mahrajan, a member of the WV State Bar Appellate Practice Committee, and is an active member of St. Michael’s Parish.
- Florida State University College of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1997, Magna Cum Laude
- West Virginia University, Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry, 1994, Magna Cum Laude
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
- Birth Injuries
- Diagnosis Delay of Serious Injury or Illness
- Surgical Errors or Unnecessary Surgery
- Improper Medication or Dosage
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Denial of Insurance Claims/Benefits
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Pharmaceutical and Dangerous Drug Injury Claims
- Medical Device Injury Claims
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Honors, Awards & Memberships
Michelle is on the Planning Committee of the annual Our Lady of Lebanon Lebanese Festival/Mahrajan and is an active member of St. Michael’s Parish.
- State ex rel. WVSSAC v. The Honorable David W. Hummel, Jr., 769 S.E.2d 881 (2015) | PDF Version
- Lemasters v. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, 232 W.Va. 215, 751 S.E.2d 735 (2013) | PDF Version
- Columbia Casualty Company v. Westfield Insurance Company, 416 F.3d 301 (2005) [Issued upon receipt of West Virginia Supreme Court’s answer to certified question in Columbia Casualty Company v. Westfield Insurance Company, 217 W.Va. 250, 617 S.E.2d 797 (2005). Participated in pre-argument in briefing before West Virginia Supreme Court. Became Supreme Court employee while matter was pending and, accordingly, was not included as counsel of record on published opinion.] | PDF Version
- Barge v. Western Southern Life Insurance Company, 307 B.R. 541 (S.D.W.Va. 2004) | PDF Version
- Grennell v. Western Southern Life Insurance Company, 298 F.Supp.2d 390 (2004) | PDF Version
- In re West Virginia Rezulin Litigation, 214 W.Va. 52, 583 S.E.2d 80 (2003) | PDF Version
- State ex rel. Medical Assurance of West Virginia, Inc. v. The Honorable Arthur M. Recht, 213 W. Va. 457, 583 S.E.2d 80 (2003) |PDF Version
- Bower v. Westinghouse Electric Corporation, 206 W.Va. 133, 522 S.E.2d 424 (1999) | PDF Version
- DeVane v. Kennedy, 205 W.Va. 519, 519 S.E.2d 622 (1999)